Wednesday 10 June 2020

Toolkit 2: Mudbox Tutorials: Custom Model



For my custom model, I wanted to make an item of food. I took inspiration from the above image (as I did not completely adhere to the strawberry pattern on the cake; I chose to replace it with a heart pattern instead). The image was found on this website.

I started out by making the very basics of my model in Maya and sorting out its UVs by cutting and sewing where necessary as I wasn't happy with how the software had done it and by rearranging them into a single square. 



I imported the file into Mudbox and started to add basic textures to each of the objects in turn by isolating them and using the stamp and stencil tools. 



I also edited the actual mudbox materials so that different objects had different levels of specular and gloss to them; the strawberries and knife are glossier and shinier than the rest of the objects, for example, while the cutting board and the piece of parchment paper on top of it are the least glossy and shiny objects in the scene.


I then started to colour each of the objects individually and add different sculpted pieces onto them. For example, I sculpted the icing on the cake and its slices, as well as the heart pattern on the outside. The knife had a bump applied to it so the screw in its handle was visible in comparison, and the paper had some distortion applied to its edges to make it look slightly curled.


I added a light into the scene and changed its colour to be slightly amber-tinted. 




No comments:

Post a Comment