Tuesday 25 September 2018

Invisible Cites: Thumbnails (Part 1)


My thumbnails for Armilla allowed me to explore the ways in which water is central to the city's infrastructure. Given the information from the excerpt, I used the imagery related to the pipes and structures that can be found in the city (bathtubs, showers, etc) to imagine how it might look. I considered that inhabitants may travel around using the water in the pipes in a way that could be similar to a water slide, and that there would be the possibility of growing vegetation due to the amount of water. 

Steam was also something I thought would feature, as the excerpt describes "nymphs and naiads" bathing there - even though it would be natural if the water was hot, it also adds to the whimsical aspect of the city (I also drew inspiration of this from a visit to Iceland's Blue Lagoon). As well as this, I liked playing around with the idea of overflowing water cascading from sinks to bathtubs and vice versa.

I used the style that I was introduced to yesterday but with less detail - as these are only thumbnails, I wanted to take advantage of the bold shapes and harsh tones to quickly get the idea across instead of spending a long time on a single thumbnail.

6 comments:

  1. Love the illustrative quality of these Karris! - reminds me of Calgari, Its great that you are thinking about the understanding of the city in regards to transport and food, Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really impactful 'energised' set of thumbnails, Karris - and I like all the 'thinking' going on here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like 3, 5 and 7! the composition and perspectives are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete