Monday 24 September 2018

Toolkit 1: Digital Painting: Tone Studies

For today's lesson in digital painting, we had to create some studies of a movie of our choice using three colours varying between black and white and the polygonal lasso tool. I chose to look at three different scenes from The Lion King (1994):


After we had completed these studies, we had to choose from a selection of pictures and complete another tone study. We weren't able to colour pick from the original picture; instead, we had to focus on our observation skills to make the correct choices.


Overall, I think that the tonal studies were successful and I am considering using the same style to complete my thumbnails, as it allows me to pick out simple shapes using a limited palette to convey ideas in a way that can be effective.

4 comments: