Wednesday 13 February 2019

From Script To Screen: Thumbnails and Concept Art (Part 5)

Taking Phil's advice, I redesigned the 'boss' character but I'm still trying to work out how tall she should be: 


I then began to start experimenting with colours. As Phil suggested I look at films like The Illusionist (2010) and 101 Dalmatians (1961) for inspiration on the art style of my animatic, and I took inspiration from the colours as well. I want it to have a warm, almost vintage feeling to it so I decided to look at the kinds of colours that were used in those two films. I also looked at The Aristocats (1970) as well, as each of these films have somewhat similar colour palettes and vaguely similar art styles.



As for John's regular outfit, I prefer the third colour scheme. I also started considering his alternate outfit shown at the beginning of the story. In this case, I prefer the ''colder'' colours in the second design, as I'm aiming for the sleekness and industrial feeling about the setting of the beginning of the story with the bomb disposal headquarters to contrast with the quieter, calmer seaside environment and the hotel.


In regards to Mabel's outfit, I'm not sure which colour scheme I prefer between the first and third ones. I feel like Mabel's colour scheme should be slightly different to John's so that their characters are more distinguished from one another. I also tried to achieve this by giving Mabel a more ''pastel'' and faded colour palette compared to John's bolder in effort to also say something about the characters themselves in terms of personality (Mabel's calm versus John's energetic).


If I were to give Mabel the first or third palette (or a combination of both) and John the third colour palette, I wanted the scissors to be able to stand out as well. I'm less sure about the colour choice for the scissors, but the ones I like the most are designs 5 and 6. 

2 comments:

  1. nice stuff - just remember to number your thumbnails so people can feedback quick and easy! :)

    ReplyDelete