Wednesday 10 April 2019

Fantastic Voyage: Deform Tests

I decided to experiment with some deformers to work out how I'm going to get the water effect for some of the scenes. 



I started by using the sine deformer and making its graph linear for an easier looping pattern when playblasting.


I included two versions of the same playblast here because the movement is easier to see when the plane is selected because of the low quality. For this experiment, I didn't start making adjustments to either the plane or the sine as I wanted to see how it looked.




I then started to increase the geometry of the plane to get a slightly better quality as this would help the wave look smoother.



I then moved on to using a wave deformer with a second plane. Again, I didn't really alter much for the first playblast as I wanted to see what it looked like - the only change I made was on the graph to make the animation linear as I did with the sine deformer.

I repeated the same process as with the sine deformer as I wanted to show the movement of the geometry by having the plane selected.




I then started to change certain aspects like increasing the geometry to get another smooth wave and increasing the radius of the wave. This ended up looking like it could simulate a large body of water fairly well.




Once I increased the wavelength, I started to see how I could use the wave deformer more efficiently than I could the sine wave - when considering my scenes in my project, I will probably make more tweaks when I come to make the water for the ocean shots, though I will definitely use a wave deformer to make the effect instead of the sine wave as it seems somewhat more natural.

1 comment: