Tuesday 15 October 2019

Toolkit 2: Character Design: Influences and Research

After looking at the topics I'd been given, I decided to gather images relating to them for inspiration and to reference when considering the characters, props, and world I'll be designing for. I started out with one map focusing purely on the gangster side of what I'd been given, including famous outlaws from the time period (1930's/40's) including Bonnie and Clyde. This, alongside Justin's suggestions of looking at and incorporating more unconventional fashion choices, will help me to create an outfit for the character.


I then started to branch out and look at 1930's/40's Hollywood. I decided to focus on the more 'glamorous' side of it, since there were quite a few events happening around this time including The Great Depression and World War II. I figured that, while I could still pull inspiration from these events, it'd be better if I stuck to one particular aesthetic as a base/foundation for the setting.


Since we'll also be making sidekick characters later on and since I'd already looked at masculine fashion choices, I decided to tap further into the 'glam Hollywood' style and look at women's fashion. I did look at World War II-type styles as well, albeit more vaguely. 


I started looking at objects of the time and influences from media (with a strong focus on media from that time) that I could use as inspiration for the 'vinyl toys' aspect I'll have to look at this week as well as for the 'weapons' and general setting/style. I found that early Mickey Mouse/Walt Disney and Betty Boop cartoons were relatively popular around these times (as well as other types of rubber-hose cartoons) and this style somewhat seeps into some of the character of the toys as well, particularly that of anthropomorphised animals or objects. I also looked to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, specifically the character of Spider-Man Noir, a character who comes from a 1930's-esque setting and deals with crime.


Lastly, I gathered generic vintage-style images that I will be looking at for inspiration in regards to aesthetic of the characters, colours, and shapes.


As for sketches, I began to look closer at hairstyles and fashion. Instead of focusing too much on faces right away, I simply references some images of hairstyles I found interesting and that contained shapes that could make for a somewhat distinct silhouette on a character. 


I also drew out some of the dresses and outfits that I liked in particular, also focusing vaguely (not too much) on shapes again; for the first row, I focused on the more traditional 'Hollywood glam' style again, exaggerating the shape of the waist. For the second row, I took Justin's advice and focused more on the 'character wearing a dressing-gown' idea, though I did briefly look at the gangster-style suits inspired by the first influence map. In the third row, I looked at more women's fashion including an outfit that I liked from the set of studies I did in class (the one with the bandanna tied around the neck and the baggier arm fabric).


No comments:

Post a Comment