Wednesday 9 October 2019

Toolkit 2: Character Design: Session 1

Yesterday's character design lesson started with us being given an object to draw to improve our research skills for later on in the day. I was assigned with looking at scimitars. 


Afterwards, we had to begin considering different characters that the prop could belong to; I looked at both a villainous type and a heroic type, and thus had to consider how exactly the scimitar's appearance might differ depending on what sort of character it belonged to. In this case, the sword was more likely to have had a sleeker design with sharper edges to match the sharper angles likely to be found in the villain's design, versus the hero's more worn sword that would be more likely to have plot significance or sentimental importance to the character.


I eventually decided on sticking to the villainous character and roughly started sketching out some facial shapes, though we moved onto caricatures shortly after. This involved drawing our classmates and exaggerating or simplifying their features and aiming for the drawing to still look like them afterwards. After I had completed two, Justin suggested I take the caricature I did of Shannon and push it in another direction with a more typically villainous-looking approach and drew the third as an example.


The latter half of the day was spent researching for our project; since the topics I was given were gangster, vinyl toys, and 1930/40's Hollywood, I spent a while looking at pictures from those time periods and creating some very loose sketches.


A lot of my research was focused largely on fashion, both conventional and unconventional for the time period.


No comments:

Post a Comment