Thursday 24 December 2020

Minor: Orthographs and Finalised Designs

Since my characters are all created from a set of bases, my orthographs required me to sketch them out first before mixing and matching them to create the characters that I wanted:


The final sets of bases for the heads and bodies:






These are the final orthographs for each character; as I was creating them, I took the opportunity to make some final tweaks to designs to correct things I wasn't happy with which will be shown in better detail with the coloured versions below. For these orthographs, however, I decided to show the differences between textures by using a lighter blue colour than the outline and then geometry hidden by the current angle of the character using red.









When modelling the hair onto Kit and Evie, I intend to use the places where fringes/extra strands of hair and where the hair parts as guides on where to separate the geometry.

These are the final designs of each character:









Minor tweaks have involved:
  • The removal of tails from the animal characters; since they are seldom seen from angles in which they would be visible nor are they used for expression at all, I thought it unnecessary (and it would likely complicate the process of making and rigging separate body bases if I had to have multiple of each just for tails pertaining to each character's species). 
  • I wasn't happy with the proportions of the characters in the last set of their designs, so I went back in and tweaked it a bit with the bases.
  • I made smaller changes to individual designs (particularly in regards to fur patterns) to compensate for the losses of the tails as well as human hairstyles so that they are slightly more appropriate for 3D modelling. Detailing for clothing will also be better suggested through texture (drawing on hemlines and the like).
  • I went back and revisited my idea of making Alice into a dog following merging her design with Violet's; since the imbalance of dog versus cat characters was bothering me, I decided it would be best to make it so there was an even split. 
For the 2D characters and versions of 3D characters that only appear in photographs, I still followed through with using the orthograph bases I'd made for myself so I could see how they compared with the others, and so I could put their art into a newer version of the lineup I'd made previously. Characters here include RenĂ©e (Kit's old best friend) and human versions of all of the classmates. 







As for the finished lineups, I made three separate versions for my art of; one with every single character design (including both human and non-human versions of the same character) and then human and animal designs.





No comments:

Post a Comment