Wednesday 11 November 2020

Minor: Breakdown (Version 1)

This is an updated version of the breakdown. Compared to Premise, I went into more detail to help with storyboarding and constructing the shots exactly how I envisioned them. 

I made the decision to focus only on the photograph and drawings and to interlink them a bit more closely instead of having the pencils involved as well. Having so many objects of interest made it difficult to connect everything in a meaningful way as I felt I kept having to juggle between them and there wasn't really a clear hierarchy of importance either which lessened the emotional weight that each object carried. The pencils are still featured, but the photograph and drawings are what progresses the story.

I also reconstructed the beginning sequence as something about the initial versions of my storyboard/animatic and breakdown with the opening on the photograph from Premise felt like it was oddly paced and a bit of a rushed and clumsy start to me.

Another thing that I went in and changed was how Kit is treated by the other students; I felt that having a student steal Kit's things was far too mean-spirited and not really matching the atmosphere of the rest of the film in the sense that the other children aren't actually intending to be outright malicious. The aim was for Kit to be caught up in various mishaps by accident as a result of the other kids' obliviousness or clumsiness. The changes were meant to therefore emphasise Kit's feelings of loneliness and being left out and detract from this idea that the other children were straight up bullying them. Overall, focusing on the theme of alienation also works better what with the ending of the film having Evie and Kit becoming friends and Kit feeling less alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment