Monday 16 November 2020

Minor: Environment Designs (Without Colour)

Part of my progress besides my animatic has been reworking my environment designs from the previous project. By this point, I realised that excessive detail in the modelling was unnecessary as a lot of it can be added in through texturing and other methods instead. To help me along with recreating the designs, I made myself some very quick references in Maya and in my drawing software created an isometric grid. 

For the school exterior, I decided that the best step was to modernise its appearance since, following the reasoning above, the original was far too detailed and I began to feel that compared to the inside of the school looked rather dated. I looked at examples of school exteriors that had a more updated appearance when considering the newer design; I left the wall outside mostly intact partially because I liked its design and I don't really think that it detracts from the sleeker look. I removed the gate as I feel like it was another instance of clutter in the scene and it wasn't going to be visible for the most part anyway.



In the hallway, I remove the plants and replaced them with lockers. I also removed all of the ceiling decorations as very few shots would even include them. I kept to the idea of the painted walls by using a slightly simplified version from the original design and restricting it to one wall, and the floor will just be reflected with coloured stripes on it (which I found was a somewhat common design in school corridors when looking through reference images).





I ended up condensing the playground down into a simpler square shape and cutting out the bits of it that would not be featured at all. I also, again, added murals on the walls and pictures on the floor for added detail.



The classroom was one of the environments that had a lot of clutter that needed removing as well, including ceiling decorations and props that I'd discarded since the last project.




Overall, I'm much more happy with the designs of the environments, though I aim to colour them at some point to finish them off and to test out the ways in which they could look when desaturated as colour is a very important part of my film and conveying Kit's feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment