Sunday 11 April 2021

Major: Character Modelling (Part 5)

The last cat model that needed to be completed was Evie. As with the previous models, I began with the hair, and followed the same process to model her hair as I did with T.J. and Charley by making the model and then twisting it to the correct angle afterwards. I decided that, since Kit and Evie's human form would likely have their hair split into several different pieces and that since the geometry for the other characters' hair is already separate from their head, that I would model both of Evie's pieces of 'hair' as separate pieces of geometry. This was solidified after first trying to model it as a single piece, as I was not satisfied with the result at all and figured I would have more freedom in a sense with two separate pieces.






The next part that I decided to work on was the plasters on Evie's legs. I started by making the one on her right leg first by using a cube and modifying it to fit with the orthograph. I then twisted it to fit with the curve of her leg.



Afterwards, I followed the duplicating and grouping method again to transfer a second plaster to her other leg. I modified the second plaster to fit with the slightly different shape of the lower leg and repositioned it to match her orthograph.


Next, I modelled the buttons on her dress. These were originally marked down to be 2D textures, but I enjoyed creating the 3D details and figured that since other characters with buttons on their shirts have them as 3D objects, that Evie should as well. I used the same method to create the ones for her dress as I did with the other characters' shirts and then duplicated it to match the other side again.



Finally, I made the pocket on the front of Evie's dress. I did debate whether or not to leave this as a 2D texture instead, but decided on making it as it was a simple shape that wasn't going to take very long, and if I do decide to keep it 3D, I will already have it made. I used a cube, cut it in half, and modified the shape to fit roughly with what was on the orthograph (to fit with the general style of the world, I softened the edges a little bit so it wasn't as sharp, particularly at the top). I then mirrored it across to complete the pocket.



After this, Evie, Charley, and T.J.'s models were essentially finished, so I began to clean up the scene. This meant removing the reference images, grouping and organising everything in the outliner accordingly, and optimizing the scene. 



After this, I began to look at the human characters (Kit, and Evie's human version).

No comments:

Post a Comment