Thursday 15 April 2021

Major: Character Modelling (Part 7; Complete)

The final character to model extra assets onto was Evie's human version. To make her hair, I followed a similar process to Kit's hair in which I started by duplicating the base head model and extruding certain faces (and deleting those I didn't need). I began to work on the shape of the side pieces and one half of the fringe. To start with, I kept the hair in something closer to a middle parting so I could come back to it and adjust it later on.


I began to extrude the back of the hair outwards after removing some faces. At this point, I assumed the hair was going to completely hide the back of the head, but eventually came to the realisation that this probably wouldn't be the case. To fix this, I added in an edited duplicate of Kit's hair cap to cover the back of her head. Figuring out the way that the hair would work in 3D was also required some time and multiple attempts.




At this point, I moved on to creating the smaller 'cowlick' hair pieces on the top of Evie's head. To make the shape, I followed the same process as the smaller hair strands on Kit's head and the hair pieces for the other characters. I duplicated the result and repositioned and edited it to form the second piece.

For the fringe, I initially spent time creating the front piece using the same steps as above. For the lower layer of the fringe and the rest of the hair strands later on, however, I duplicated pieces of Kit's hair and edited them as necessary to save time.


After working on the rest of the hair, I came back to the bottom of the hair and began to rework it.


It was at this point I decided to place the extra strands in behind Evie's ears. After positioning extra ones beyond these in different places and positions around the hair, I decided to leave it with just the two and edited them to make them slightly asymmetrical.


Now that the hair was nearly done, I made the hair clips that would go into her hair using cubes and changing them to fit the shapes.







After this, the character was basically finished. For the body accessories, I simply imported the cat base model scene and took the needed pieces that I had already made on Evie's cat version and placed them onto the human version to save time.


I did make some final touches to the back of the hair before optimizing the scene to make it less thin.


The modelling for the characters is now fully finished, so I can now UV my characters and begin to rig and skin the bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment