Saturday 10 April 2021

Major: Character Modelling (Part 1)

 While working on my environments, I did work on my character models to get them looking more like their 2D counterparts. Since they use the same base models, this involves the addition of hair and outfit pieces; I started by focusing on the dog characters, starting with Sam, and found myself getting the hang of modelling the hair relatively quickly. I decided that Dylan wouldn't actually need any additional pieces modelled onto him as well, since his character does not need 'hair' added onto it and his outfit also does not require any additional pieces (all of his detail seemingly comes from texturing and the 2D facial rig, which will come later). 

While modelling the hair piece, I found that modelling plane by plane was a much more successful experience compared to other methods I'd tried out previously, especially when creating the swirled hair design (which is, compared to the other characters, arguably the most complex hair design that I have to create besides the human characters). I might go back and tweak this later if I get time to give it a rounder and fuller shape (especially from the front angle), but for now, moving on to the next processes is my priority and I'm relatively happy with what I've made so far.





Following the hair, the next step was to add on the strings hanging from his hoodie. This was very simple compared to the hair design.




To get the string model across to the other side, I had to duplicate it, group it, and then change the 'Scale X' channel to read -1. I then removed it from the group and organised my outliner. This meant that the hoodie string models were complete.


Next came the trouser strings. I did also debate about making the pocket on the front of his hoodie a separate model protruding from the base, but decided against that after having spoken to Meg a while back about the difficulties this might produce when skinning and/or rigging. Therefore, since the character does not interact with it, I might add it on in Mudbox time permitting, otherwise, it will be placed in using a 2D texture like the other details on his model.

To create the trouser strings, I duplicated a single hoodie string, positioned it, and deleted the faces that were not going to be seen underneath the hoodie. Since the character is not seen from the front angle when sitting down in the classroom, these should not really be a problem. The only issues that I can see them potentially causing is when the character is seen running in the corridor and thus requires more active movement with the lower body (specifically the legs). I also scaled them up and used the same duplication and grouping method to accurately copy the original trouser string across.


Otherwise, Sam's model is essentially complete. The next to focus on is Alice. I will then move on to the cat models, which have considerably less complex hairstyles.



No comments:

Post a Comment