Wednesday 13 November 2019

Toolkit 2: Character Design: Session 6

In today's lesson, we looked at props and sidekicks. Starting with props, we were each given a culture that we had to make somewhat futuristic prop designs based off of said culture; I was given vikings, so I spent a while studying helmets and weapons before trying to apply a futuristic look to them. I struggled quite a bit with this, but it was still fun to explore.




We then moved on to looking at sidekicks. We had to make a sidekick-type character in the context of our personal character projects, so I started considering different types of personality and ways in which a 'sidekick' could fit into the narrative, whether it be a henchman to the villain or an ally to the hero. This meant looking more towards old vinyl toys again and drawing inspiration from those. This gave me two generic hero-aligned sidekick characters, and two slightly more villainous ones.



After speaking to Justin, we agreed that the new femme-fatale-type design would actually work better than the original human-like one I'd been using as not only is her design more interesting, but the contrast between a cat-like villain and a dog hero worked much better. I spent a while looking at how their designs contrasted all the while trying to work on refining them a little bit (which I'll be doing more of digitally as well as considering the set in the context of a toy world).




No comments:

Post a Comment